Saturday, July 11, 2015

Early Morning Musings From The Picnic Table


Each morning of the summer, before the sun comes up, I take my cup of coffee, my iPad and my Bible and head out to the picnic table in my backyard.

It is a quiet respite, chocked full of the best of nature on Long Island. 

This morning once again I watched a routine. It is several toads returning to the large daylily bed in front to the table.  It is such a cool sight to watch these interesting creatures, who appear to be bored with life, make their way home after a night of hunting. 
 
We are teeming with toads this year again. The State of New York, in its infinite wisdom, devised a flood control plan that actually fills once dry sumps with water year round. Since there is one on the corner, the toads have found a nesting place and after they are born they make their ay out into the world, which happens to be the yards across the street.

Since my yard has been termed a jungle or a rain forest by some family members, they love it here! And I love them here. The one that just arrived is sitting under the shade of a large plant right now in full view of me. This place is not only for the birds. It is also for the toads!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home