Sunday, May 13, 2007

What A Mother's Day!

This has been a great day- a wonderful day, a unique day.

For me the day began around 6:30am. Following my ritual of two cups of coffee, feeding the birds and the pond fish, then Moe, I began to prepare for my responsibilities as pastor.

I called my Mom at 8 to wish her a Happy Mother's Day before they left for church. Lucy called her mom in China as well as her sister to wish them the same.

We had a good service this morning. I asked Katrina Laux, our senior member of our congregation to pray for the mothers this morning- it was a beautiful prayer from the heart. It moved me deeply.

Following the service, as Lucy headed out to Flushing, Don and Angie (Tonya's in-laws) drove me to Mineola where we had lunch with James and Tonya and Emma. What a great time!


After lunch we headed back to Tonya and James' for dessert. It was nice relaxing and laughing together.




What transpired next I am still digesting. Tina walked me over to the Mineola Train Station. I sat down after I purchased my ticket and called a few other friends. No one was answering. It was 4:15pm.

A gentleman sat down next to me on the bench. He had a suitcase and laptop. I remarked, "You look like man who is traveling." Little did I know who I was talking to or the magnitude of what I just said. The man turned out to be Charles Weldon Wadelington (http://www.allbookstores.com/author/Charles_Weldon_Wadelington.html),
now being funded by an grant from Oxford to travel the US for 3-5 years and write a book on American Culture, taking the same travels W.E.B. Du Bois (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W.E.B._DuBois) took nearly 100 years ago. We talked for about 20 minutes before getting on the train and then another 25 minutes to my stop. When we finished we exchanged e-mail addresses and he told me I was going to have a line in his book! What a facinating man.

Dinner in Flushing with Lucy and Leo- beyond words- We went to a Korean BBQ Buffet. We grilled all our food at our "table". It was a lot like the food at that Mid Eastern Restaurant in Jerusalem... whew! I am stuffed. The meat and fish we did were so good. It was a new experience for me to BBQ the food right there on the table!


What a totally incredible day!

God bless all the Moms!
I finished my day by calling my mom on the way home.

It was a good day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home