Monday, February 18, 2008

Starlings and Suet

The starlings are all over the yard these days. They come in flocks. They are have huge appetites. A bunch of them can devour a suet cake in a few hours. The best thing to do to avoid this is to leave suet cake in its plastic container and expose only one side, turning that side upside down. Starlings cannot hang upside down. Downy Woodpeckers and chickadees can.

This year I have begun to make my own suet. My family was good stewards of the earth long before it was fashionable to be green, recycle and before global warming became an issue is presidential campaigns. I learned from my grandmother many things about garbage.

I have taken fat and collected it in a jar and then emptied it into an empty suet container and freeze it. I add some black oil sunflower seeds before putting it in the freezer. Two hours later there is a special winter treat for my feathered friends. Sorry Starlings.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home