Sunday, August 17, 2008

Gardening Season

I was speaking to one of my daughters about plants in her backyard this morning. We talked about the fall frost, the time to plant annuals, etc.

My gardening season begins January 15th. That is when I plant my first seeds. The tomatoes we are now enjoying were planted inside in February. Outside work continues (leaf mulching) until Thanksgiving. I basically take 6 weeks off from the yard. Even then I am planning for the spring and going outside to feed the birds and looking at things.

My house plants are on a summer vacation right now. In the picture is a Claradendrum. She blooms outside in July and August. She has beautiful leaves inside all winter. This year we also added a Plumeria Tree from Hawaii. My niece Helen gave it to me. It is growing well and will be moved in next month. It blooms white blossoms that are used in Hawaii to make the leis. We have poinsettias that have lived outside from last Christmas that will return inside with blooms for this year. But I am talking like this year is over- far from it! I have still have several things outback that we are waiting for.

The Jerusalem Artichoke and other new additions are still to flower. Ilona brought over a beautiful pot of marigolds yesterday. Joe, her husband, picks the buds back (like I had told about on a previous post) and then they form huge plants to brighten up things as the summer flowers finish. Edie brought me a beautiful plaque which really points to one of the reasons I enjoy the yard and sharing it with others:

God be with you until we meet again!

2 Comments:

At August 19, 2008 at 9:12 AM , Blogger John said...

very nice! I should have blooming Jerusalem artichokes blooming soon too, thanks to you!
-J

 
At August 19, 2008 at 10:51 PM , Blogger Larry said...

They are such a beautiful way to end the summer growing season and bring us into fall.

One of my great pleasures of gardening is sharing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home