Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Summer's End

Summer is over in the backyard. I know we still have Labor Day and might even hit an occasional 80 on the thermometer but with the cool evenings coming fall is fast approaching. Not that I mind. It is my favorite time of the year. Some have called it Long Island's Best Kept Secret.

I have Jerusalem Artichokes growing out back. This year they are the highest they have ever been. They have just begun to bloom their beautiful yellow flowers. They are like small trees this year.

Seed pods are forming and most of my daylily crosses are in the refrigerator until we plant them after Christmas. There are still things in the garden. We have green onions year round. For the most part things are getting ready for winter's rest. Yes I know it is still summer but signs are all around of change. The leaves have begun to fall from the clump white birch. Emma and I sampled our first Gooseberries the other day. They are fall favorites outback.

I love the cool evenings without any air conditioning. I love the preparations that have begun for school which begins here a week from tomorrow. I love September. I was married in this month. My mom, nephew and grandson were born in this month. For me it is a month of beautiful weather and joyous celebrations. Oh I still may get to the ocean one final time, I'll golf at Robert Moses, and I know I'll endure a warm day or two, but my sights are set for autumn. In my mind I have already begun to mulch the fallen leaves. Today I enlisted my granddaughter to come over and help rake. Nothing worng with a little advanced planning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home