Saturday, May 3, 2014

Toads

I came home from a full day with family this evening. 

I went out back to water some new plants and recent transplants when what to wondering eyes did appear but a toad!

Our yard has had a great history with these fascinating little creatures. We have had them lay eggs in our pond and have inundated with them. We have had up to 23 at a time sit around the pond during mating season. Their noise has made the neighbors wonder what was going on. My brother-in-law, Barry, said, on a visit, "I live in upstate New York. I come to Long Island and there is more wildlife in your yard than in mine!"

It is a high compliment when these uninvited guests find refuge here. The birds nest around the house, the toads come and raise families and we have even had box turtles lay eggs near the pond. It is wonderful.

The toads actually stay here al year. With the arrival of the insects now they are ready to begin to eat.
I have the windows open tonight. I love going to sleep listening to a choir of them or a solo of one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home