Sunday, June 22, 2014

A Sabbath

I have been going like crazy, non stop the past few weeks. Sound familiar? 

My body, soul and spirit were crying out for rest. I ignored them. It was all good stuff I was involved with. Two weeks into this insane marathon a close friend asked me, "Have you taken a Sabbath this week?" I said , "No, not for the past two weeks." He didn't say anything else. His silence was enough. But I kept going and going, until yesterday.

Yesterday I did nothing. I didn't even leave my yard. I think the thing that tipped the scales were the two folks who told me Friday, "You look tired." The LORD spoke through them. That was enough.

Yesterday I observed a Sabbath day of Rest. I journaled in my Gardening Journal, read a little in Thomas Aquinas' book, The Imitation of Christ. At risk of offending people I resisted the temptation to make phone calls and attend events. I was shot. I had sinned, missed the mark and was paying for it.

I should have known better. How many times have I read the account in Genesis of God resting on the 7th day? I memorized the Ten Commandments when I was 7 years old, I have spoken about this need to many. Yet foolishly I pushed myself beyond the limit. Then I accepted God's gift. 

Jesus said that the Sabbath was created for man. I took Him at His Word yesterday. For the first time in weeks I stopped and rested, even resisting the temptation to go shopping. Some might call it legalistic. I call it wisdom.

Also for the first time in weeks I woke up feeling rested. We not only need rest each night, God has wired us to rest one day in seven. He did it. We need to as well. It has been a lesson well learned. I am very thankful today for the refreshing He gives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home