Friday, February 9, 2007

Friday Evenings

I remember Friday Evenings being such a special night as a kid growing up on Long Island. We would all go grocery shopping together as a family (Imagine that!) We would get home just in time for Gomer Pyle, USMC. My mom would buy celery and I would grab a piece, wash it off, and put a little salt on it and have snack as I watched the show with my brother. We already had our homework done as this was hard and fast rule. It was good. Then we had the weekend to enjoy. Friday Nights were times of freedom and fun.

These days they mean something else. I have a friend. He is Dr. Tom Barnard. He has several e-mail devotionals he sends out each week. One of them is entitled Friday Evenings. Below is this evening's. At the end there is a place to sign up if you are not already receiving them and you'd like to get these each week. Like eternal life they are free. It is a great way to end the week and start the weekend.

Here you go:

God Never Forgets His Children

Tom Barnard

“Can a mother forget the baby at her breast

and have no compassion on the child she has borne?

Though she may forget, I will not forget you!

See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands.”

Isaiah 49:15-16 NIV

The prophet was referring to the love that God has for His people, Israel. Earlier in the chapter the prophet spoke the words of God to Israel, “In the time of my favor I will answer you, and in the day of salvation I will help you; I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people.” (v. 8) Is it too great a leap of faith to claim that promise for those of us who are not blood-descendants of Jacob? I think not! You and I are children of God by adoption, but does that make us any less His children? I think not! The prophet affirms a truth from the mouth of the Father: “I have carved you on the palms of my hands.” Underline these action words in your Bible:

“I will answer you…I will help you…I will keep you…I will not forget you!”

It doesn’t get any better than this! I found a quote recently that I really like:

“God will never lead you where His strength cannot keep you.”

Lord, I need to hear those words from you today. I need to know that in the time of trouble I will hear from you. I need to be assured that you are working in my behalf. I need to know that you will not forget me. I accept these words as your covenant with me. I am honored to think that you not only remember me, but that you have carved my name on the palms of your hands! It is hard to believe, but I believe it. Accept my thanks. Accept my praise. How great You are! Hallelujah! Amen!

This is “Friday Evenings” for February 9, 2007. To subscribe to this weekly devotional send your name and email address to Dr. Tom Barnard at barnard22@cox.net.

Back copies of these devotionals may be accessed at the following website: www.emfsprayerandpraise.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home