Friday, June 15, 2007

Ruth Graham- Home with the LORD

I never had the privilege of meeting Ruth, but I did meet Billy Graham a few times and know Franklin personally.

Dr. Nelson Bell was Ruth's dad. He was a surgeon and missionary to China. It is interesting how the ministry of God's Word and medicine have been tied together. We see in in the Book of Acts as Paul, the Apostle and Luke, the Physician travel and work together. Hudson Taylor, China's missionary, was a medical doctor.

Some years ago it was my great privilege to be a courier to bring some medical supplies and surgical tools from Long Island to Boone, North Carolina, the HQ of Samaritan's Purse, Franklin's medical ministry. This was really before Franklin had much notoriety. We had pleasant and relaxed conversation with him. His parents came through him. We were both in our 30's then.

Since we made the trip and delivered the supplies, I was told to go to the book area and pick up any books I would like as a gift. There was one book that stood out. It was a book about Franklin's grandfather, Dr. Nelson Bell and his work in China. The Lord had been drawing my heart to that land and I wanted to read all I could about missions there.

This morning I picked up the book. Lucy, who is soon to become a nurse, read some of it then pointed a picture out to me of lady Dr. Bell had operated on. Below I began to read the text.

Ruth Graham's dad had written to his mom in May of 1929, "I found out here my big trouble is worrying about things the Lord is already working out for me."

Ruth has left Billy temporarily. She is with Jesus. I am sure her dad and her have had some wonderful times of fellowship there already!

She has joined that company of Abel, though being dead still speaks! My prayer for you and I this morning is that we would live in such a way that after we are gone we still speak through the legacy of lives Jesus has touched through us. He is using us today more than we could dream of.

May all the glory be His now and forever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home