Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Here Comes The Cold!

It amuses me what a little cold snap or even deeper freeze can do. How the times have changed since those days of growing up here on Long Island! It could be just me but I don't remember people complaining of the cold or relocating to a warmer climate like they are doing today. Of course they didn't! The sun belt has become a big thing in the past 30 years.

I would like to speak up for the cold weather. I love it! I need it. These next few weeks are too busy for me to be spending much time in the yard. Now is the time we enjoy welcoming some winter feathered friends to the feeders outside our bay window overlooking the gardens. January and we'll be off to beginning plants inside again! For now we take a break for Thanksgiving and Christmas. January the garden sleeps and then by February we'll watch the first greens coming with crocuses and daffodils sprouts and stars of Bethlehem...

Perhaps another reason for being a cold fan is how invigorating that air is. I do enjoy what it does when out in it. Maybe there is more. Today I put back on a leather jacket I wore when my youngest daughter (now 28) wore when she was in Junior High- oops there I go dating myself again, pardon me, Middle School. Those quilted sleeves are so comfortable. The running I have been doing has been paying off.

I love the lines from The Night Before Christmas written by a Methodist minister in New York City for his own children...

And Momma in her kerchief and I in my cap had just settle down for a long winter's nap...
The moon on the breast of the new fallen snow gave a luster of midday to objects below.

Oh yeah I am a fan of The Polar Express and White Christmas.

Bring on the snow! As I wrote a few days ago there is nothing quite like looking out and seeing the bluejay and the cardinal in the white birch tree with the blanket of snow underneath.

3 Comments:

At November 20, 2008 at 12:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor Larry - I'm so sorry that old age is going to your head. Although this was certainly a well written essay, you are clearly insane! It has been COLD here in the promised land as well, and I am chilled to the bone - and yes, complaining about it! Enjoy your respite from the garden! Pam

 
At November 20, 2008 at 12:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor Larry - old age really seems to be affecting your mind. Although this is a well written essay it is obvious that you have gone insane. It has been cold here in the promised land as well and I may never thaw - yes, I am complaining! Enjoy your respite from the garden. Pam

 
At November 21, 2008 at 10:14 AM , Blogger Larry said...

Are you a member of Facebook. I have been called a sick sick man there as well as crazy. I can't help it- I love the cold! I was out running this morning -25 degrees and wind chill of 18. It was wonderful!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home