Sunday, October 26, 2008

Further Thoughts On Composting


This is what the compost area looks like in January here in the backyard. The modular composter in the picture was obtained at Sears over 20 years ago.

You can easily make one with chicken wire and some strong stakes to hold it up. The pile beyond the composter was made that way. Enlarge the picture by clicking on it and you may be able to see some of the wire even.

A couple of things are important to remember- continually feed your compost pile. Turning it is important to speed up the breakdown. Keep it moist as a well wrung out sponge.

You have loads of the richest soil in the neighborhood. Yes I said soil! I haven't bought potting soil in a long time. I have all I want in my own backyard!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home