Thursday, March 12, 2009

More of Spring's Things

At this time on Long Island many things are popping out of the soil. There are patches of green all over. I saw my first tulip break through the hardened dirt of winter yesterday.

It is still cold enough that when you work outside your fingers get a little numb. I love it! There is a freshness to the winter's compost (I use it for all my seeds). Birds are out looking for food and singing their lungs out as they do.

In my backyard there is a fish pond. The past few days these guys have been surfacing and moving around after the deep freeze of January and the beginning of February. Now they are up. I just cleaned the filter head. It is a bio filter. Our yard is green, completely organic and we even bring leaves in from the church lawn to mulch and fertilize the beds each fall.

All that work and all the work of past years is beginning to pay off. You did a little work in the garden and you get big returns. You work hard and it is overwhelming what you will get back in time.

For those of on the Island, spring has come. It is a wondrous time!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home