Friday, May 14, 2010

Lima Beans

Among the things I did not enjoy as a boy were lima beans and gardening. When my mom would serve lima beans I would shiver as I ate them. Eventually I learned to like them.

My dad had a tomato patch in our backyard in Bellmore. It was my job to weed it. That wasn't much fun in the hot summer when I would prefer to do something else.

How times have changed. I enjoy lima beans and I love gardening. It didn't happen all of a sudden, but rather slowly- the gardening that is. Yesterday I put in a large portion of vegetables by seed. This morning we are getting showers. In a few weeks we'll begin to pull in some of the produce, in a few months we will be overrun and will be giving bags away.

The flowers continue to bloom. In July my backyard will be a gorgeous display of all kinds of flowers. I go out back for a break from the busy world. "The garden had been my therapy. Here among the flowers when the light is brand new and everything is fresh and wet and the leaves are beaded up with dew drops, I work in the household of nature and refresh my spirit." - Jeanne White

An hour spent in the garden puts life's problems into perspective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home