Friday, June 18, 2010

Grandma Milligan


This morning, very early, a saint by the name of Lela Milligan went to be with the LORD. She was known to my daughters as Grandma Milligan. I was her pastor for five years.
Some people felt that at 23 years of age I had no right to pastor a church. As I look back now I believe they had a point. There was a lady in that church named Lee Milligan who would have none of that. From the moment I arrived she was one of my right hand people!
She led the children's church and ministry. She would do so for the next nearly 25 years. At 95 years of age she completed her work and left for heaven just hours ago. The family asked for me to speak at her funeral. Since I am unable to do so I thought it appropriate to share a tribute here in this venue. Perhaps equal to that is my need to express gratitude to the LORD for bringing her into my life and to pay tribute to a lady who was a blessing to me. And what a blessing she was!
She never declined anything I ever asked her to do. But I seldom had to ask. From babysitting my kids to helping spackle and paint the new addition to our church (as shown here in the picture) Lee was on the spot, on the job and always with joy in her heart!
She prayed for me and my family. She loved us beyond words. When I spoke to Cub, her son, today, he told me that her love for me was coupled with my three girls. There is no doubt. She was a grandmother to them. They loved to go to her house. It was a cozy warm home that you could relax in.
She gave and gave. She worked with children when most people her age were retired. She worked tirelessly. She served with a joy and zest for what she was doing.
Lee Milligan was a jewel. Now she is home, home with the LORD. Family is traveling in from Texas and the Carolinas on this Father's Day Weekend for her funeral in Clearfield, Pennsylvania. I will be there in spirit. It will be a celebration. She would have wanted it that way. It won't be long until we join in the one that she is a part of in heaven.
Thanks LORD for a life lived for you so well with so much love.



4 Comments:

At June 19, 2010 at 1:31 AM , Anonymous Rhonda Sue Milligan said...

Thank you Larry for such a wonderful tale about my gram. She was an incredible person. I can't believe you were only 23 when you started at that church. Many memories for me at that church with gram. We all loved her so much and she will be greatly missed but she is where her heart yearned to be with her heavenly father, finally at rest.

Grandaughter #3
Rhonda Sue

 
At June 19, 2010 at 6:38 AM , Blogger John said...

Nice tribute, Larry. Even though I never met Lee, she has an important place in my life. She attended the same church as my mom and dad in Nashville, TN. When we moved to Long Island and were looking for a church home, my Mom was talking to Lee about it and told her about Larry and his church in Bayshore. If it wasn't for Lee and Mom, we probably would never have met Larry and been a part of the Bayshore Nazarene Church. It is a good example of how you never know how you will affect a person's life. You may never know until you get to Heaven. Thank you Lee.

 
At June 19, 2010 at 7:03 PM , Blogger Larry said...

John and Rhonda are bringing a lump to my throat by their words. I remember you guys visiting Rhonda. She was thrilled to have her grandkids come to visit. She is the Forever Grandma! I used to think of wonderful she was with my girls and am trying to be like her with my grandkids. She was the best. We'll see her soon!

 
At June 21, 2010 at 4:09 PM , Blogger Larry said...

http://gantdaily.com/2010/06/21/obituary-notice-lela-e-milligan/

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home