Sunday, May 1, 2011

A High Compliment



Sixteen years ago this month, when our backyard began the transformation from where volleyball nets were set up and where wiffle ball games and croquet matches took place, we began with a fish pond. Now the yard is a series of gardens including day lilies, vegetables and a water garden. We have several berry patches as well.

I read, as the changes were taking place, that something called "univited guests" would come. We placed fish in the pond but toads, frogs and even box turtles have made appearances. Univited guests are a compliment in the backyard. It shows that there is a safe enviroment for them where they can live or visit before the suburbs displaced their ancestors.


Yesterday I noticed a very young mourning dove on the neighbor's roof. Last evening this little guy found his way to the backyard. It allowed me to get very close and take this picture. It felt safe. After a flight up to the gas grill and then onto the tree where its mothers was waiting, it rested again. It is learning to fly.

Perhaps one of the highest compliments we can be paid in life is what this dove showed me last evening, that people feel safe with us. To know someone trusts you is truly humbling. To be around someone with that is not threatening is wonderful. Perhaps that is why grandkids love grandparents.

I love the univited guests that come to our yard. They teach me. I want my life to be the kind where people feel safe around me.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home