Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Garden In My Yard

His Garden Part I


I heard of your garden
Lavish with growth
The warmth it’s providing
A life of its own

The colors colliding
With firm green frame
Pathways well trodden
A peek showed the same

Many find refuge
Solitude's home
A harbor for souls
An oasis for hope

I’ve heard of your care 
The great love and attention
The endless hours
The gift of  its offering

Sweat on the brow
Humble knee bent
Nature’s own way
A waiting well spent

Not only one hand
Has planted its seeds
But one mighty hand
Winds through its leaves

Growth is abundant
For nature knows well
From the damp of the fall
To dark winters revenge 

Through the cool spring rains
As the earth gives way
To life in its splendor
And to colors vast array

The inconspicuous movement
Of life’s subtle growth
Lies under the beds
Preparing for birth

To safely be freed
In mornings warm light
Is hopes deliberate message
The mystery of life

I heard of your garden
You give it away
For those who receive it
Give one pause on the way.

By Cliff Kretkowski
May 2, 2006

Cliff is a dear friend who wrote this poem after a visit to my backyard 8 years ago. He captures the heart of my garden. It was put in just after my brother, Mark, went to heaven and my life came crashing down. My coach from High School, Paul Limmer, encouraged me to dig up the yard and plant.

Shortly after a dear sister in the LORD, Sue Fliss, gave me this a card with this verse:

The Garden has been my therapy,
Here among the flowers and the bright fruit,
when the light is brand new and everything is fresh and wet
and the leaves are beaded up with dewdrops,
I work in the household of nature
and refresh my spirit.
It seems to me that every weed I pull
is a bit of grief I am learning to set aside,
a tear I've weeded out so that
Good cheeer can grow again.

You are always welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home