Saturday, July 19, 2014

Take Me Out to Ball Game!!!


For 51 years I have been attending Professional Baseball games. I have never gotten a foul ball. Last night at the Long Island Ducks game that streak ended. We came close 12 years ago at Shea Stadium. Moe Vaughn was up. My son-in-law, Michael Ludwigsen, was up  getting food. My Dad used  to say, "I came  here to watch the game, not to eat!"  Mike had brought me some food, then went back to the   concession stand to  get food for my daughter and himself. While he was there Moe hit a foul ball that took one hop and whistled by me right into the glove of a kid who was seated behind Mike's seat. When he came back he asked, "Did I miss anything?" I said, "No, just the chance to catch a foul ball hit by Moe Vaughn." I explained and pointed to the kid behind us admiring his newly acquired treasure. I couldn't even try to catch it because my lap was full of food and my hands were balancing it. If you have been to ball game recently you know how expensive the food is! 

Last night I as Mike, Tristan, Chris and I sat down in beautiful seats off the suite provided by my daughter's company, I said, "I got a feeling tonight you are going to be redeemed for that Moe Vaughn incident of 2002, Mike." My words were proven true when the foul ball bounced into our box. We both scrambled for it, with our hands going for it. Mike got it, then he gave it to his son, my grandson. Memories were made that will last a lifetime last night under Long Island's skies. I told stories of going to my first Met's Game with my Dad, Poppa and Uncle John. Then we went to the Peter Pan diner at 10pm and got the boys ice cream sundaes! I hope my daughter isn't reading this or I am going to get in trouble! Last night we were all kids again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home