Friday, January 19, 2007

Moe and Snow


It is winter on the Island this morning. We got out first snow (people north of us would laugh- our southern friends would ooo and ahhh or say, "Better them than us!") Snow is a wonderful thing. Lucy was reminding me how it cleans the air. If I remember Earth Science correctly (Am I right Mr. Limmer?) snowflakes actually form around a particle of dirt or dust. No one snowflake is the same as another.

As I write it is now clearing and the snow is rapidly disappearing.

Before I got on the track and cross country team I used to hope for snow days. (That was before I was informed by Stu Altenhaus and Frank Benso that, "School is just a break in between Cross Country practices.") More often than not growing up on Long Island we were disappointed. We would get a dusting like we did this morning and then it would stop and we would have school. Only a few times did we have the joy of a day off and no teachers to "ruin" it by giving us homework! I remember one such snow when my dad came home early from work (that seldom happened) and we all sat on the couch in the living room at 2804 Martin Avenue and watched Gene Rayburn and The Match Game when it was still broadcasted from the New York Studio. It came on around 4pm. Dad was home when it was still daylight! Now the winters have become a time when the garden sleeps- takes a nap before showing off in the spring.

Moe, our dog, is pictured on the blog today as well. What a dog! He keeps the yard free from squirrels. He loves going out with me in the early mornings to feed the birds. He is a true pal. Moe came to live here on Father's Day 2002. He was a gift from my girls.

Naming him was easy. He reminded me of Moe from the Three Stooges. But there is more. That name has been a nickname in my family for generations. My grandfather called everyone that and my Uncle John picked up on it too. He called my brother and I "Moe". I named my Father's Day gift after Moses Horowitz (Moe, The Stooge) and John Biggs, my uncle. When my Aunt Vivian came for a visit shortly after Uncle John went to be with the LORD, she asked, "What's the dog's name?" I told her, "Moe!" She responded with laughter and tears. Then called my cousins in Florida and told them. I guess Uncle John was not that flattered that I named a dog after him! I now have the privilege of being called this name by one of my nephews.

So here it is- snow and Moe. It makes me happy to Moe enjoying the winter.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home