Sunday, March 2, 2008

My Dad, My Hero

After church today I found myself telling someone a story my dad.

It was July 4, 1967. We had worked out in the yard that Fourth. Imagine that! Making kids work! My dad knew nothing about the child labor laws. looking back now I am so glad he didn't! Some of the best times through the years came from working together on stuff.

In the afternoon the neighborhood boys all started rounding kids up for a ball game. We played on Martin Avenue in Bellmore in a sandlot which was the parking area of the Presbyterian Church.

My dad said, "If you want I can umpire the game and I'll pitch for both sides." We drove down to the field. The kids jumped on it! We never had an umpire for our games. This would eliminate all the do overs! That day that lot became my field of dreams. We played 9 innings in the scorching sun. Dad pitched all of them! He even had some close plays to call, but no one argued. It was a great time.

From that time on I had the idea, which was right on, that I was blessed with one unusual father. While the rest of the dads sat under their umbrellas with a beer or some other drink, my dad was out there with his sons, playing.

I could go on but this one incident stays with me now over 40 years later.

Thanks Dad for being the greatest dad I could ever have!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home