Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Reflections of a Road Trip




My mother celebrated her 80th birthday this past weekend. All of her grandchildren and great grandchildren were there for the momentous occasion. We had a wonderful time. That is really an understatement. It was all we had hoped it would be and much more. These family reunions do something to me... something very good.

Driving there and back give me time to reflect amidst the beauty of upstate New York. Having my nephew accompany me gives me quality time with him.

I have celebrated my dad's 80th and now my mom's. I am watching the family grow. 4 new grandchildren were added to our clan over the past 2 years. This brings me great joy. Little boys have become men (my nephews) and little girls have become sweet young ladies (my nieces). Lucy cooked dumplings, Cheryl made lasagna and I whipped up some salads. Tonya made chili and Theresa and Tina made meatballs- the heroes were delicious as was everything else. We ate. We talked about old times and new, told stories and laughed heartily.

By some incredble act of tight lips we kept the secret from Mom. She was surprised. She told me last night it was the best birthday she could have ever wanted. That makes me happy. It was a terrific weekend. I believe Stephen's status on Facebook said it best: Thankful for a wonderful weekend! God has blessed me with an awesome family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home