Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Wealth Of Information

Joe Peckl is a veteran gardener here in Bay Shore. In his 80's he supplies plants to all the best nurseries on Long Island. Hicks, Father Nature's and others sell his home grown, hand grown ware. We had dinner together last month. He is a friend who is full of knowledge that comes from experience and I listen when he talks. Actually it is more than just facts it is wisdom. There is a difference between the two- a great difference.

I am very blessed to have as my friends people like Joe, who you can learn so much from (and I do!). This year as the tomato season wraps up and a few tomatoes are still out there he told me what to do to have seeds ready to plant from my favorite plants from this year (My favorites are grape and cherry tomatoes). He said, "Go out and take a few tomatoes and crush them. Spread the seeds out on paper towels and let them dry. Then in the a few months, when you do your planting, take the sections of the paper towels where the seeds are and plant the whole thing- towel section and all. You will duplicate what you had this summer in as many numbers as you want."

So yesterday I got my seeds ready for my February planting- the kind of tomatoes Lucy and I love. Thanks Joe!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home