Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Days Are Getting Longer

I happen to love winter. My oldest granddaughter asked me why the other day. It was a good question. Living where we do, the beach is not something we enjoy in the winter, nor for the matter is the name of this blog, at least not like we enjoy it in the spring and summer.

I explained one facet of my love for the colder weather. After I run it feels so much better in the cool weather than in the heat of summer. I like the brisk air, the clothing of winter and the lack of bugs. I enjoy the clear nights and the low humidity.

But alas this will all pass... and sooner than you think. Today a friend reported a daffodil breaking through the soil in the next county. I saw something very green out the bedroom window early this morning. On close inspection it turned out to be a clump of those Grape Hyacinths that my daughters ordered from Post Cereal over 20 years ago. They are breaking through in this the coldest month of the year! Soon the crocuses will be up. With the warmer temperatures the pond fish are moving around. I even talked to Joe Peckl about when he begins his tomatoes the other day.

The sun is hitting spots in the late afternoon in the kitchen as well. I can see it moving higher in the southern sky. For those of us who like winter we can wait but time is moving on and spring is on the horizon. Get ready Ground Hogs Day is in 2 weeks!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home