Monday, December 28, 2009

December 29, 1970

I was talking to my friend Rudy today. His daughter, Rachel, just left for a teen retreat in the mountains of Pennsylvania. It brought back memories. When I was 14 years old I spent three days in the Pocono Mountains with teens from Nazarene Churches all around Metro New York. We made stops all along the way in the bus, picking up kids at their churches as we made our way from Long Island to the Lodge we were staying at.

I remember adults like Pastor David Trauffer and Bob Mahood taking time out of their week to make sure we had a good time. It was a grand time. I recall many moments of those few days. When I heard about Rachel today, a flood of good memories came into my heart and mind.

We had meetings in a huge barn that had been modernized and winterized. It had a huge pot bellied stove in it that heated the whole place. There was a built in indoor swimming pool and a pond that was used for skating. It snowed while we were there. We spent time together, laughing, listening to Bible Studies and eating and playing.

It was part of my Wonder Years. To this day I look back with wonder and amazement as I think of how blessed and privleged I was growing up right here. I am thnkful for those who sacrificed and worked that I could enjoy myself. God bless each of them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home