Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Thanksgiving Is Not Just A November Holiday

My groceries had just been checked. I bagged them. The cashier gave me my change. Then she proceeded to the next order. I said, "Thank You." She said, "No problem."

We have lost the art of saying thank you! In case you are younger than me, you may not understand. Back in the day saying "thank you" was proper. I worked in a grocery store years ago. We always said "thank you" to customers. How the times have changed! It isn't just in retail it is in all of life. The ingratitude is astonishing and in a nation above all others where we have the most to be thankful for!

The trouble is we have almost become used to it now. Well almost. This article shows that it still troubles some of us. Your comments will tell if it bothers you. And if you don't comment your thoughts will for sure.

How about some old fashioned (always in vogue) thanks. You can begin with the family you grew up in and the schools you attended.How about all the people who have helped you this day! Police, firemen stand ready to assist you. Waitresses, busboys, the dry cleaner, the person who does your nails all deserve thanks. How about your neighbors? Got good ones? Tell them! We are quick to complain if we don't.

I need this talk too. I complain about the crazy drivers out there and forget that most of the countries I have visited the people do not even have cars! We are spoiled in the land we live in- very spoiled!

Thanksgiving is not just a holiday in November ( btw it is a holy day- just check out the roots of it!)

If you are reading this you have access to a computer. Have you ever thought about being thankful for the technology we have today? It makes life a lot easier. Just take the weather for example. Back in the day if you wanted to know the weather you waited patiently fir it to come on the radio or TV. If you missed it- too bad. Today we can rewind our DVR, go to weather.com or check some place on our mobile device.

I don't mean for this to be so negative, although there is a time to be angry.

There is also much to be thankful for... a whole lot. Food, clothing, so many conveniences. Think about the sick here in the USA. They are given the best health care in the world! How about all the entertainment available? It is beyond imagination. Think of the state and national parks. I live near two. I went to one the other evening, drove in, parked my car and walked along the Atlantic Ocean. Since it was evening I didn't have to pay, I walked along a clean beach. I washed the sand off my feet with water provided by the park systems. I saw the trash pick up crew at work. I left feeling refreshed in body and soul.

This post could go on and on and one. Suffice it to say that I imagine you have more than you know- much more if you will just take the time and look around. We have so much to be thankful for and we ought to express it often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home