Saturday, February 27, 2010

Who We Are... Who We Become

Mistaken identity! I remember when our family moved upstate. The church we went to was getting a new pastor at the same time. I was standing in the back not quite 17 years old when one of the fellows who was looking for the new minister asked me, "Are you our new pastor?" Of course I did have heavy sideburns for a 16 year old - that was in 1973.

As pastor for 30 years now (guess that guy was prophetic!) I have had some interesting stuff happen with identity. Most of the time I get mistaken for a doctor when visiting people in the hospital. One instance comes to mind. I was visiting a person who was in isolation. A young Korean nurse came in and asked if I was a doctor. I said, "No, I am just a a pastor!" Her repsonse made my day and when I am down I recall those words, "JUST A PASTOR!!! Where would we be without you guys in our lives, leading the church, caring like you are doing now?!!! JUST A PASTOR!..." She continued the rant as she left the room and went her next patient.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home