Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Weeds or Blooms- What Do you See?


A Garden is a lot like life. We have cherries and we have the pits in life. I love that book by Erma Bombeck from years ago, "If Life is a Bowl of Cherries Then What Am I Doing Down Here in the Pits?" The man who gave it to me had both legs amputated and was confined to a wheel chair for the rest of his life. He didn't stay in the pits. I have a whole file filled of letters he wrote to me over the years. He looked at things with faith in God. He was a mentor to me.

People come to my yard. Most see the flowers, the beauty, the pond and fish and the birds. Some people comment on my weeds. Like with every organic garden they are a problem here too. There is simply not enough free time to pick them all. I do my best. The comments merited a sign that hangs out there among others: Free Weeds- Pick All you Want!

If I am not careful I can see the weeds in life, the pits and miss the blooms and sweet fruit. If I am tired my vision gets blurred. If I hold resentment I can become oblivious to the blessings even when they are starring us in the face.

The weeds will always be there. Pull them out when you can but don't forget to first enjoy the beauty of what is among them and keep on enjoying it even as you deal with the weeds and the pits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home