Monday, October 11, 2010

Gardening All Year Round

Gardening doesn't end in the fall, it continues all through the year. True in the dead of winter, At the end of January, there is not a lot of outside work going on but it is time to begin seedlings and get ready for the spring.

We are fortunate here on Long Island because we do have a a growing season that extrnds well into the fall. Lucy's arugula has taken on new life from the rains of last week. I just walked in with a handful of grape tomatoes. The green onions look very healthy and will give us fresh picks well into December.

Anywhere though you can garden and plan for next year. Bulbs will go in soon in a new bed out front. I'm thinking some tulips will look real nice there next spring- maybe even some new daffodils.

I like fall because it affords the luxuary of doing some putting out there. Like today, Columbus Day, I am under no pressure to get things in or even get things done. In shorts and flip flops I am drinking in the sun of this gorgeous fall day and going at a slow pace. I wonder if this isn't a bit closer to what the Garden of Eden was like where work was pure joy. It makes me also wonder what the new earth will be like... wonderful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home