Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Those Gifts That Keep On Giving

There are some gifts that carry the wonder of Christmas in them. They last for a long time, maybe a lifetime, spanning generations even.

Each Christmas I love making up DVDs for my family. I put some current clips on it, then some old home videos.

This year I pulled out a video from Christmas 1987, 25 years ago. My dad had just got his first camcorder. My brother and he were learning the nuances of it while taping the family festivities of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. It is quite a tape!

This past year my Dad left for heaven This Christmas is my brother's 13th one there. We watched it and laughed and even cried a little yesterday morning at my daughter's home as my brother and Dad were "among" us again.

My brother, Mark, had great ideas. Two revolved around documenting family history. The first one we did the day after Christmas 25 years ago. We rode into Queens and Brooklyn, visiting the places where our family roots are as my Dad narrated. It was great.

Before Mark got sick he said he wanted to sit Dad down and tape him telling the stories we grew up with. He never got to do that. But 10 years ago I carried out my brother's idea. I made that tape. Last year my girls each received a DVD of their Poppa telling the stories they loved to hear. Now their kids are enjoying them too.

These are all wrapped up in love and wonder. Merry Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home