Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Bad Rap

Remember the chant, "Rain, rain, go away. Come back another day?" Or the song by The Carpenters, "Rainy Days and Mondays". Few poems or pros give rain credit for what it does.
Jesus said,"But wisdom is proved right by her deeds.”

Having spent most of my life on Long Island, I am used to what is happening today weather wise. While Upstate New York is enjoying a winter wonderland, with snow days and all, here on the Island we are just getting lots of rain.

My poor grandkids are still waiting for that first snow of the winter. Even last evening as Emma, Tristan and Jax were leaving my house, I consoled them with the words, "The weatherman is not always right," as my daughter and I discussed the approaching rain storm.

The Word of the LORD tells the benefit of rain: “For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread for the eater..." Our food supply is wrapped all up in the rain. The beauty of the earth is too.

Complaints about the rain are reflective of all life. So often we do not know what is good for us. We are childish. Kids would eat the worst things for them if not for their parents. I never had a grandchild ask for carrots or celery at my house! "Poppa, can I have a piece of candy or a cookie?" are the words I most often here each time they come over.

So it is with this rainy Wednesday. When the spring flowers bloom, when the gardens bring the summer produce, when we enjoy the green landscapes, we should be giving thanks to the LORD for sending the rain!

In fact why wait?! Do it now!

1 Comments:

At January 16, 2013 at 9:31 AM , Anonymous Suzanne Wolfram said...

Scarcity helps one be grateful. Here in the near-desert of Denver, Colorado natives respond to any kind of storm with, "We need the moisture."
May we never take for granted any of God's graces.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home