Friday, November 13, 2009

Thanksgiving Thoughts

The American celebration of Thanksgiving is rooted in the beginnings of our nation. Columbus' journey to the new world was spiritual as well as literal. The Plymouth Pilgrims came here with hopes of religious freedom and found it.

Thanksgiving is historical. It was President Abraham Lincoln who signed the first "official" proclamation making the fourth Thursday in November a day of giving thanks to God Almighty for His blessings upon America.

It is a personal thing too. We all have many blessings that are ours and a story behind it.

In a day short of just two weeks families will gather across this nation and have Thanksgiving together. Travel plans are being made for our loved ones to come from places in the northeast and arrive here in time to celebrate with us. Many memories flood my mind of times of growing up in Bellmore and for the past 25 years here in Bay Shore of Thanksgiving Days. I remember it was a time when my grandmother would come and visit. Now I am a Poppa. I'm very blessed that my grandchildren are right here and I am very thankful for my family, friends, my life's work and all the people I get to work with. Life is rich with God's blessings.

Among the things I hope to do today is visit some folks in Nursing Homes who are a part of the congregation. They will be thankful too, I know. I am their pastor. Bottom line is today we have more, much more than we realize we have. Look at what you have and thank God. Thanksgiving is every day, especially if you live in America!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home