Friday, November 27, 2009

Veuns Fly Trap and Thanksgiving

I am a very nostalgic person. One dear friend recently described me as a little bit of a mush. He was right.

Several weeks ago I was in Shop Rite. There was a family of boys checking out something in the floral department. It was a Venus Fly Trap. Before long one was in my cart. My brother, Mark, had one when we were kids growing up in the wonder filled town of Bellmore, Long Island. I can still see where it sat in the living room. I didn't realize it but he had one in his home as an adult. Since his untimely passing his boys and daughter spend Thanksgiving with the Mancinis. The kids are adults nearly themselves but I am still Uncle Larry to them- always will be.

Stephen and Mike were delighted to see I had bought this plant. Yesterday they hunted for bugs in my backyard. This carnivor went crazy gobbling up their find. They even wished it Happy Thanksgiving!

We had a wonderful day yesterday. My daughter Tina outdid herself. She set a beautiful table for all 27 people! We ate. Tonya and James made appetizers and a ham. Theresa and Mike made incredible pies. There was a turkey and loads of other delectables as well.

We played Carom and Skittle Bowl and I won every game! Its fun to beat those youngsters! Of course as I explained to James I have been plyaing this since I lived in Bellmore!

We had a family football game to start the day at 9am in the park where Jackson's Celebration was held last month, It was grand. Three football games as well as a family breakfast took place there. I love the way my kids included the grandkids in the football fun.

I am still thankful this morning. My children have settled here and I and given me 5 sweet grandchildren. I get to be a pastor to an incredible group of people for my life's work. In spite of all my flaws they love me! I live in a place, on an Island I love. Surrounded by an ocean and salt water air I am grateful for God's Creation (Even the Venus Fly Traps!)

Life is good, very good!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home